Frequently Asked Questions
At what age/grade should I begin to enroll my child in St. Teresa’s Faith Formation?
- You can enroll your child in Faith Formation as early as Kindergarten for the program.
When do children enrolled in St Teresa’s Faith Formation receive their sacraments?
- It is common that those in the 2nd grade prepare for their sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist. However, anyone above this grade level, and under the age of 18, can also prepare through this process. If older than 18, that person should sign up for RCIA (The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults).
- For Confirmation, it is common that those in 8th grade begin to prepare then and receive the sacrament in their 9th grade year. However, for those in grades above 8th, they can prepare in their own grade and receive their sacrament in a two year preparation process. Anyone above the 8th grade level, and under the age of 18, can prepare through this process. If older than 18, that person should sign up for RCIA (The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults).
- If anyone is older than the age of 18, they can receive their sacraments through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, which you can find information for here.
- If your child is a teenager who has not received Communion or baptism, you can join the Confirmation preparation program as this prepares students for initiation.
- If your child who is the age of 7 and is not yet in 5th grade and not baptized, then they can enter the Communion preparation program to prepare for this as well.
How does St Teresa’s Faith Formation accommodate for children with special needs?
- These children are accommodated on a case by case basis.
What should I do if St Teresa’s Faith Formation calendar doesn’t fit my child’s schedule?
- At St Teresa of Avila, the Faith Formation program seeks to provide several options for certain aspects of the program; however, Sunday is our primary day of selection as the program is build upon families attending Mass together. That being said, we understand that some families may work this day, or have other obligations, and are unable to have their child attend anything on this day – particularly sacramental preparation sessions. If that is the case for your family, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make this known to the staff so that a reasonable arrangement can be made.
Does St. Teresa’s Faith Formation provide youth volunteer/works of mercy opportunities?
- Yes. For 5th – 8th grade, we ask that they complete 10 hours of community service in the year. For 9th – 12th graders, we ask that they complete 15 hours of community service in the year.
Does St. Teresa’s have a youth group for teens?
- Yes, the youth group meets weekly on Sunday nights at 6pm in Memorial Hall, and it is for 9th to 12th graders.